SITHCCC007 Prepare stocks, sauces and soups
- September 4, 2021
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery
Unit of Competency and Code – SITHCCC007 Prepare stocks, sauces and soups
Course and Code – Certificate IV
Task – You are required to complete all questions and tasks for this portfolio. All tasks and exercises are based on the theory content and recipes contained in your workbook/ online unit.
1. List all essential equipment and utensils required for the preparation, production and service of stocks, sauces and soups and explain the use of each item.
2. Provide 3 examples each, for brown, white and miscellaneous stocks, and list
– the cooking times which apply.
– the quality signs for good stock.
3. What are the points of care which must be applied when preparing stocks?
4. List the production steps for each of the following types of stock:
Brown beef stock
White chicken stock
Vegetable and miscellaneous stocks
5. Provide an overview over the different types of glazes, the production method for a glaze and the required procedures to provide for a product which is free of impurities.
6. Provide 3 examples each for, thickeners based on fats, and thickeners based on starches. Explain how these are used in the preparation of soups and sauces including points of care to ensure a quality product.
7. What are the methods to solve problems relating to stocks which are bitter, cloudy, lacking colour or lacking flavour?
8. What are the critical hygiene and food safety aspects which must apply when selecting ingredients for stocks and sauces, as well as preparing, cooling and storing stocks including the provisions for labelling?
9. List the classification for soups and provide 2 menu examples for each with an appropriate service vessel for service and accompaniment or garnish (no repetition of garnish or accompaniment).
10. Select 1 example of the soups you have listed in Question 9 and write and adjust the ingredients for the recipe, using the attached recipe template to yield 10 serves. Include the production method on the recipe card.
11. List the production steps for a Consommé, including points of care.
12. List the classifications for sauces and provide 3 examples for each.
1. Reduction based
2. Roux based
13. List the production steps for a Jus.
14. List 3 derivative sauces which can be produced from sauce Demi-glace with their main ingredients.
15. List 2 derivative sauces which can be produced from sauce Béchamel, with their main ingredients.
16. What is the production method for a Velouté?
17. Provide 3 examples for derivative sauces which can be produced from each, fish velouté, chicken velouté and veal velouté.
18. What are the basic ingredients of sauce mayonnaise? List the preparation steps and provide 2 examples for derivative sauces (and ingredients used), that can be produced from sauce mayonnaise.
19. How do the ingredients and production steps for a sauce Hollandaise and sauce Béarnaise differ? Provide 3 derivative examples which can be produced from each Sauce.
20. What are the correct hygienic procedures to reconstitute sauces and soups whilst ensuring the correct consistency and flavour?
21. List 3 different convenience products for stocks, sauces and soups and explain how these are used. What could be done to enhance convenience products in terms of flavour and presentation?
22. List 3 food safety aspects which must be considered during the production of soups stocks and sauces to ensure food safety and a clean workplace during and post production.