SITXMGT001 Monitor work operations
- September 4, 2021
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery
SITXMGT001 Monitor Work Operations Sample Assignment
Assignment Activity 1
Chose a department from the flowing list and develop simulated or real details about that department and the KPIs of that department.
Kitchen, Housekeeping, Bar, Front of House, Tour desk.
Front of House
- Customer satisfaction
- Front of house labor hours
- Food, dessert, and beverage sales per head
- Front of house labor percentage
- Linen costs
- Number of customers
- Revenue per available seat hour (RevPASH)
- Seating efficiency
- Strike rate – Number of diners over number of occupying guests
- Total sales per head – Total sales divided by the number of customers.
Assignment Activity 2
From the information in Assignment 1, describe the problems that commonly occur and can have an impact on the KPIs.
Number of customer
Similar to profit, this performance indicator is fairly straightforward. By determining the number of customers you’ve gained and lost, you can further understand whether or not you are meeting your customers’ needs.
It may present more of a challenge to measure but it is the number one requirement to keep you in business. If your customers are not satisfied they will go elsewhere. So, what is it and how do you measure it? Customer satisfaction is subjective but that does not mean it cannot be measured. It is possible to develop a process with which to measure and then improve your customer service. If you can crack this metric measurement and incrementally improve over time you will have everything you need to build a lasting success.
Assignment Activity 3
For your workplace or if you are not currently employed in a hospitality business, you will need to simulate a business.
Write a daily department report for a Tuesday and Saturday.
(Restaurant, kitchen, bar, outlet, housekeeping, tours etc…..)
You may need to design a standard format for this report. This may be submitted in paper based format or an electronic format e.g. Excel spreadsheet.
|Time Weather condition: cold and rainy||No. of staff: 2 staffs in morning shift 3 staffs in afternoon shift 4 staffs in evening shift|
|Lunch covers: 18 Meals: 25 Beverage: 21||Dinner covers: 22 Meals: 30 Beverage: 10|
|Total sales for the day: $930|
|Total food sales: $650||Total Beverage sales: $280|
|Complaints/Compliments: One staff late in afternoon shift Good service, Friendly staff||Operation comments: good sales|
|Refund/discount: discount 5% when the bill over $100 each table||Any specials events: none|
|Name of supervisor/manager: giang|
|Time||No. of staff: 4 staffs in morning shift 5 staffs in afternoon shift 5 staffs in evening shift|
|Lunch covers: 35 Meals: 60 Beverage: 51||Dinner covers: 40 Meals: 90 Beverage: 80|
|Total sales for the day: $2340|
|Total food sales: $1800||Total Beverage sales: $540|
|Complaints/Compliments: Some mistakes happened at lunch time (wrong order and table), but everything went all smooth.||Operation comments: a bit busy but it’s a good day.|
|Refund/discount: discount 5% when the bill over $100 each table||Any specials events: come to celebrate your birthday|
Assignment Activity 4
Give a scenario where you as a department manager have developed a plan to improve the quality of one aspect of work and need to communicate that plan to the staff members or team within that department.
Explain how you would communicate that new plan and why you would choose those methods of communication.
If I am a department manager have developed a plan to improve the quality of one aspect of work and need to communicate that plan to the staff members or team within that department.
The first thing, I must make the plan for that and print it for each staff or the email to them. And then, I must organize a meeting to present new plan of improving the quality of one aspect
Ensure all people in the team have plan and understand my plan, it help manager and staff communicate together easier. Receiving idea from staff to know plan need to improve something.
Assignment Activity 5
Explain one aspect of financial sustainability for a hospitality or tourism business.
Cost is always a driving factor and reducing operating costs provides a compelling incentive for hoteliers. Cost reduction and efficiency strategies can be achieved by investing in better operational procedures and emerging environmental technologies. Many hoteliers now employ a variety of strategies to reduce, reuse, and recycle waste. Other emerging areas include sustainable procurement, indoor environmental quality (focusing on air quality and chemical/cleaning product use), and staff training programs (which can facilitate improved performance and higher levels of employee satisfaction/retention).
To achieve financial sustainability, we need:
- Track Your Food Cost and Inventory
- Decrease Waste – not wasting food .
- Control Portion Size
- Balance Your Menu
Assignment Activity 6
For the case study outlined on pages 39-42 of the student resource, decide if you are the Chef or Restaurant Manager and complete the plan for Mother’s Day.
You may need to design a standard format for this plan.
You may use the format from your workplace if this is relevant.
|CAL MARITME CATERING SERVICE AGREEMENT|
|his service Agreement is used by Accounting to Invoice for Catering Fees|
|Arrival time: 11:30 Am||End time: 3:00Pm|
|Served time: 12:00 Am||Number of staffs: 8 FOH 8 Kitchen, 3 head chef.|
|Description of Services||Amount||Price||Total|
|Combination Spring rolls ( Chicken, pork and vegies) – one serve for 2|
|Chicken Sweet corn soup|
|Salt and Pepper Tofu- 1 serve for 2 ( if they are vegan)-or : Steam prawn wonton|
|Salmon with white bean mash ( 1 serve for 2)|
|Soft cell crabs ( 1 serve for 5)|
|Combination Fried rice ( 1 serve for 5)|
|Slow cooker chicken Taro Soup ( 1 serve for 5)|
|Stir fried noodles with vegies ( if they are vegan)|
|Banana Fitter Ice Cream|
|Orange yogurt cake|
|Chocomint Ice Cream|
|Beverages: Discount $15/bottles of wine ( $20 normal price) or $4/glass. Total: $700|
|Soft Drink: Solo, Coke, Sprite, Ice tea: $2/can ( $2.5 normal price). Total: $500|
|Other: will be discount 10% of for the first booking.|
|Billing is based on the guaranteed number of guest.|
|Subtotal F&B||$ 7.300|
|Cost price: $120/person based on the total cost price||Deposit Due 1st Deposit Due 2st||$3.000 $4.300|
|Total amount due||$ 7.300|
|Cancellations made less than 72 hours before event are subject to a 50% cancellation fee|
|Approved by: gianna||Date:|
Assignment activity 7
In your current workplace, or if you are not currently employed, you may use a five-star hotel as the subject of this activity. From your workplace experience, provide details of two different problems that you have experienced related to work performance and productivity and identify possible methods you could use to solve them.
Include in your report:
- Detail of any possible long term impact your changes may have on staff and/or the operation.
- What sort term strategies could you use to solve the problem?
- What consultation could you undertake, and with whom, to implement improvements.
- Outline of any documentation that resulted from the process.
Prevention of workplace stress
- Identifying the sources of potential harm to staff health and wellbeing
- Systematically assessing the risk of staff being harmed
- Developing and implementing actions to:
- address the workplace factors that present a risk of psychological injury
- minimise the impact of stress on staff through supportive management and promoting staff health and wellbeing
- Monitor and review the implementation and effectiveness of the interventions to ensure continuous improvement.
Effective communications and feedback reduce errors and frustration
A lack of communications can frustrate employees and make them feel unimportant. Failing to provide effective feedback can lead to wasted efforts, increased error rates, and lower productivity. Communications and feedback mechanisms need to be developed in conjunction with employees to ensure that they fit both the needs of the manager and the employees.
Assignment Activity 8
Select three of the following problems that can cause a reduction in work outputs and explain the strategies or systems you would put in place to improve performance, improve productivity and reduce lost time.
- Equipment breakdowns and technical failures.
- Poor rostering procedures.
- Inexperienced staff.
- Failure to achieve tasks within nominated or suitable time frames.
- Poor quality of service resulting in an increase in customer complaints.
- Provide hands-on training.
- Allow employees to learn at their own pace.
- Let s them work with experienced staff and learn slowly
- Don’t let them work themselves
Poor quality of service resulting in an increase in customer complain
- Teach Service Every Day.
- Hire people with a heart for hospitality
- Write out a training plan and expectations for every position at your restaurant.
- Give great service to your staff so your staff can give great service to your guests.
Equipment breakdowns and technical failures
- technicians follow a detailed checklist and visually inspect all parts of the machine
- Asking trained personnel to operate equipment
- By replacing only the broken part, you will temporarily fix the problem but will likely have another breakdown soon because you did not fix all the worn parts.
- check machine when they start to show excessive wear instead of waiting for them to break